Who or what are the Numerati you may ask? Well they aren’t a religion nor are they Santa Claus, but they know when you are sleeping and when you are awake (whether you have been bad or good is up to you and your conscious). Just ask Stephen Baker.
Marketing has certainly reached a tipping point as it relates to targeting. No longer do we have to develop large targeted advertising and marketing campaigns…thanks to the Numerati. Okay, back to my original question…who are the Numerati? They are the technological and statistical gurus who have figured out how to target us without asking us one single question. Can’t be? Read on.
Ever wonder how it is that while surfing the web you are consistently receiving banner advertising that seems to be targeted to what you are currently shopping for? How about online advertising that pops up on your favorite news website for things you are vaguely interested in based on your hobbies? To use a phrase from Hawaii Five-O last night…you know what they say about coincidences…they take a lot of planning. And the Numerati do nothing but plan…how to reach you.
Without getting into a lot of techno babble and market research geek, the Numerati are the folks that take volumes of behavioral data from the web and, through the use of some pretty sophisticated modeling and programming, determine what online advertising should resonate with you.
The Two Main Benefits:
- It can help you quantify a hard to define/segment market—it goes beyond the typical demographic and psychographic variables
- Behavioral targeting can significantly reduce the cost of sale (new and ongoing)
- It’s a model…and models can be wrong
- There is too much junk out there for a meaningful conclusion for targeting
- We are lazy and ADD (attention deficit disorder) surfers…not everything we search or click on is meaningful to us.
Marketing is truly at a tipping point. Soon I wont even have to think about or desire anything! The Numerati will tell me what I want and make it very easy to buy it!