Let’s face it social media isn’t going away. You can choose to ignore it…but at your peril.
First some stats:
- Over 600 million Facebook users
- Over 200 million Twitter users
- Over 95 million LinkedIn users
In my post 7 Quick Tips to Maximizing Your LinkedIn Strategies , I talked about how you can use LinkedIn to your marketing advantage. In my video blog, I talk about a company who got it right in terms of effectively using LinkedIn. Just in case you missed it, here is the synopsis:
- It’s a story about two online insurance leads marketing companies: One gets it as it relates to social media and one doesn’t.
- The company that doesn’t get it, got raked over the coals in this particular LinkedIn group and has now been effectively banished by the group members–who will likely talk disparagingly about this company to both their online and offline associates.
- The company that gets it, built trust in one of its key prospect LinkedIn groups by providing valuable content and informing rather than just “meforming.”
- The company that gets it has already started doing business with the members of the LinkedIn group.
So what’s the moral of this LinkedIn and social media story? You can get business through LinkedIn and social media if you do it right. That means be genuine, build trust, provide value and be there on a consistent basis. No one but your cat/dog and mother wants to hear your elevator pitch on social media.
So what are you doing to build relationships on LinkedIn/social media?