Determining the right marketing distribution mix for your product or service is critical for the success of your marketing campaign. The key is including all viable distribution methods into your consideration set. Here’s a marketing distribution method that is often overlooked by business owners because of the personal committment it requires…marketing through networking groups.
Okay, I know what you are thinking…and no, this is not a lesson in Multi-Level Marketing. (MLM). It’s all about getting out there and “owning” your target market through networking.
So how do you find the right networking source? Here are some quick ideas…there are many more:
- Your local chamber of commerce
- Your local newspaper
- Your local county/city/town website
What should you look for when evaluating possible networkng groups? Here are five things I look for:
- What is the purpose of the group–you need to know why these folks are getting together…even if your target will be there. If it is a networking group, you are golden. If people just get together to have lunch and talk about the weather and no business can be done through the group…PASS!
- Will my target audience be there? Or worst case…will those who influence my target audience be there?
- Is it a local chapter or is it national? I always strive for local chapters, but hey that’s me.
- Are they visible in the community? This is critical for localized service businesses such as massage therapists, plumbers and restaurants.
- How often do they meet and what is the committment in terms of time and costs?
Networking can be a very effective method to get your marketing message across to your target market. How are you going to take advantage of your networking?